Swimming Technique and Active Recovery Session
Swimming workouts designed by Heidi Fearon
4 Minutes of Hip Flexor Mobility of Your Choice
4 Minutes of Anterior Shoulder Mobility of Your Choice
4 Minutes of Quad Mobility of Your Choice
4 Minutes of Lat & Subscap Mobility of Your Choice
Focus on relaxed breathing throughout these mobility drills. If you cannot breathe properly, the stretch is too intense and you need to back off to the place where you can maintain a rhythmic breathing pattern.
Two sets of:
100 Meter Finger Tip Drag (with Finis Snorkel if possible*)
Stop every 25 meters and rest 10 seconds
(FTD: Drag your fingertips along the surface of the water as you recover. This drill encourages high elbows.)
Rest as needed
200 Meter Breathe Every 3rd Stroke (with Zoomers if possible*)
Stop every 50 meters and rest 20 seconds
Rest as needed
Four sets of:
100 Meters @ 70% effort
Rest 15 seconds
Practice flip turns on each end, and try to breathe every 3rd stroke throughout the effort.
One set of:
100 Meter Kick – try butterfly on your back or use a kickboard if less advanced
100 Meter Warm Down
Mobility and Maintenance
* Choose 1-2 Thoracic Mobility Drills from Kelly Starrett’s Mobility WOD and spend 5-10 minutes with them.
* Choose 2-3 Lower Body Mobility Drills from Kelly Starrett’s Mobility WOD and spend 10-12 minutes with them.
* Choose 1-2 Upper Extremity Mobility Drills from Kelly Starrett’s Mobility WOD and spend 5-10 minutes with them.
– AND/OR –
* Body work from a licensed body worker (ART, Graston, acupuncture, etc…)
* This could be a lot of things, but think in terms of compression (we love the NormaTec units at Invictus), electrical muscle stimulation (Compex or Marc Pro), contrast baths, salt baths, castor oil packs, etc….
* Ensure that you have quality foods prepared in the appropriate quantities to fuel your efforts for the remainder of the week.
* Different for everyone – could be meditation or could be gathering with friends; the key is to engage in activities that make your life full and help you recharge your batteries.